The Green House Education Project, Bath
The Green House was set up in September 2014 to germinate the 'Grow Your Own School' project. It currently operates from South Stoke House in South Stoke, near Bath, where we have dedicated geodesic dome, yurt and outdoor teaching spaces that can accommodate up to 23 children in two groups - the Wolf Cubs (5-7) and the Wolf Pack (7+). In order to create a strong sense of community among the children, we have the same group of children gathering together 3 consecutive days a week.
- The Green House runs three days a week from 9:30am-3:30pm each day (Monday to Wednesday).
- Terms run for 12 weeks at a time with holidays at 'half term' (see Term Dates below)
- The three days are structured by Opening and Closing circles each day where the children discuss projects, agreements, plans and resources, and close the space at the end of the week with questions and observations.
- Each day has a rhythm with food and drink – eating together, sometimes prepared together. There are periods of free play and outdoor play.
- The price is £1250 pounds per term per child
- Fees are charged for the term and are paid in advance
- Our experienced Mentors, Anna Robinson and Cindy Adams, prepare and facilitate the learning programme for the groups. They are supported by co-mentors and volunteer facilitators at regular points during the week (see Team for more information).
- Anna, Cindy and the team provide regular feedback to, and receive input from, the children and parents. This includes documenting each child’s progress through our Green House blog, journals, films, photos, parent meetings etc.
- Paid or unpaid experts in relevant areas are invited to teach or facilitate certain projects or organise and guide visits to places of interest for the children.
We aim, where possible, to operate with slightly different holiday dates to mainstream state schools, although this is not always the case. We believe that time together as a family, and the option to go away together, if possible, is an important part of growing and learning within the family.
Summer Term: 2017
24th April - 19th July 2017
Half Term: 5 -10th June (week after mainstream)
Bank Holiday: 1st and 29th May
Inset Day: Monday 24th April
Inset Day: Monday 12th June
Information about the Green House Tours, Training and our Mini-Conference are now on our EVENTS page.